Saturday, February 6, 2010

Its just ART!!!

Last night I took my husband to First Friday, the monthly art "fair" downtown. I'm sure every city has one. All the galleries in the Arts District downtown open their doors on the First Friday of every month and all sorts of people come. In fact, that is one of the selling points for my husband to go. All the crazy people watching. Unfortunately, the rain last night kept most of the people away, all except for the angry emo teenagers and hippies selling their wares. And the artists and gallery owners of course. However, there were the die hard art goers, the ones who really annoyed me and reminded me of why I don't really go to First Friday that often, despite my love of art.

It's just art for crying out loud! It's not pretentious, you don't have to be in a certain tax bracket or a certain level or field of education or understanding or even background to understand and appreciate art. You just have to be YOU. Seriously, there were people there who were seriously "high brow" posers, acting like because they had a plastic cup of "Two Buck Chuck" wine and were standing near a painting they were cool. Really?! Maybe it's because I actually did study Art that I feel that art is not pretentious, it just is? But I think I may have been the only one in my class who felt that way.

But seriously people, its just art. Cave paintings are one of the earliest forms of art that we have, art is one of the earliest forms of communication, paintings today are simply an interpretation of what the artist sees, much like what the cave painter saw. This blog is art, I am telling you what I see. I'm not above you the reader, you the reader are not above anyone else just because you are reading my blog. Some of you will like what I am saying and/or understand it, some of you will not. And that's OK. If I were a painter, it would be the same, some people looking at my paintings will like and/or understand what I am conveying through my painting, some will not. But those who like/understand my paintings are not above the person who does not. That's just what they see. Or say I paint a big blob. The person who sees a butterfly is no better than the person who sees a blob. That just what each individual person sees. However, on the flip side, if I paint a butterfly and someone sees a blog, either they need to get their eyes checks or I need to go back to art school.

Anyway, that's my rant, Art is not a pretentious thing and those who look or make it are no better than the novice who just comes to check out the galleries and the people watching.


On a business note, I am getting organized. I read a little more today, took notes and organized my notebook. After I post this, I am going to plug my computer in and do some more market research. I even did a little market research today. I ordered some things off of my competition today, one because the product was on sale and looked fun and neat. Two, its research, I want to see how they do business, from when I click on the site to after I get my order. As an adamant e-shopper and very involved in the activity in which I am perusing, I have been a member of their mailing list for awhile, which is how I knew about their sale. And of course, how did I hear about this website? Word of mouth through a group of this related activity. See, that is the market research I am conducting, from word of mouth and advertising, to mailing lists, to sales to ordering and my satisfaction of the product and process of receiving that product to after I have ordered, how much will I hear from that website to my likelihood of purchasing from them again.

OK, battery is getting low, time to do my research and find out what time my Pi-Yo (Pilate's/yoga) class is tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment