Monday, July 4, 2011

Ah-Mazing Weekend!

Wow, time flies. Yes, I am still her LOVING Oklahoma! Even after a few hurdles, working on opening the business, and all in all enjoying life. But I must tell you about my most recent adventure.

Last weekend my husband and I went down to Dallas for a romantic, relaxing art and city filled weekend. Yes, living out in the country, every once and a while we feel the need to get out city fix.

Well, anyway, earlier, my husband found a great deal at The Fairmount in Dallas for an Art package. The Fairmount being in the heart of the Dallas Arts District. The package included a suite! A tour of the hotels gallery with their curator, and an art lesson with their artist in residence.

Ok, so we get to the Fairmont. A beautiful hotel, and since I work under neon lights all day after we put our bags down in our suite, we headed to the pool. Like any weekend, the Fairmont was hosting a rather large wedding, and they were all at the pool. I got the skinny on this wedding from one of the wedding attendants at the pool, the Flower Man, yes, it was a BIG family. And when I commented that my husband and I could never have afforded such a big wedding at such a place he looked at me like I was from another planet.

After the pool, we set out to meet the artists in residence MK Semos and Hugo Garcia-Urrutia, an awesome husband and wife couple who do amazing mixed media of photography on reclaimed objects like window shields and wood. (We especially liked the one done on reclaimed gym floor.) We also got to some other great works from their gallery in New York, www.decorazongallery.com We had a great time talking, drinking wine and beer and making art. They were such a great couple, I swear we would be friends with them anywhere. Well, we drank wine while my husband had a beer, how cool is that the hotel sommelier brought my husband a beer because he doesn't drink wine. I think that is very accomodating and great
customer service. And MK and Hugo were such a great couple, I swear we would be friends with them anywhere. After that we chatted with curator of the Ross Akard Gallery at the hotel, Bryan Embry. Another great person who really knows his art and, yes, we would also and did also have a beer with him in MK and Hugo's studio.

I highly recommend that if you are ever in or near downtown Dallas you head to the Fairmont and check out the Ross Akard Gallery and inquire about the current artist in residence. It is worth the trip.

After our art it was time for dinner. Included in our package was a 5 course tasting dinner with wine and beer pairings from the hotels chef and sommelier. It was the best meal we have ever had! 1st course was a roasted potato and watercress soup with morel mushrooms, followed by grilled melon with mint, frisee lettuce and watercress. Next, tuna with ponzu sauce in a beet "sphere", with the main course being a heavenly thai curried duck breast with peanuts and green curry sauce. For dessert, coconut milk panna cotta with cardamom cherries. As each course and served and wine and beer poured the chef, Andre Natera and sommelier Hunter Hammett came out to explain each one. We really felt special and like we were on "Iron Chef" (Chef Natera wond).

I would love to say that my husband and I are late night party animals and stayed up until the wee hours crashing the wedding reception but we didn't. We were stuffed and full of booze so we went up to our suite and watched The History Channel in bed.

Even still, it was a wonderful weekend filled with wonderful talented people and food. I would defiantly do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment