Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Such a Cliche

When I first started my Mary Kay business I told myself I wasn't going to fall into the Cliche of the typical Mary Kay lady and I wasn't going to follow the "rules." I was going to do this MY WAY! But now that I am really concentrating on my business trying to work at it, I've noticed that its the cliche's that work. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. But at least I can be disappointed at the bank. I was going to be a "Maverick" and make my own rules. Now I am finding out that my "own" rules are rules and practices that many a Mary Kay and anyone involved in Direct Sales has done before. Like leaving my business card with the check at restaurants. Casually mentioning my business in conversation. Yes, a cliche but OMG! It works! Like today, I was talking to my IT guy at work. We were talking about texting and I casually mentioned that I have customers who text me their orders. All of a sudden, he's like, "My wife was talking to me about Mary Kay, she was wanting something" So I gave him a catalog. This is a customer that I would have never had, had I not casually mentioned my business. The weirdest thing, as much of a cliche as it is. Casually mentioning my business is how I got a majority of my customers.

Even practices that I have seen on the Mary Kay Consultant website that I thought,"Nobody does this" I have tried and then I hear, "Oh yeah, you totally need to that. I.e. putting my label stickers on all my product, so my customers will remember me when its time to reorder.

The world is full of cliches but what are you going to do? I think, I am no longer going to consider them cliches, but time tested, tried and true practices to follow. Not just in Mary Kay, but in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment