Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Culinary Adventures - 2 - Two fabulous places to check out

Ok, here are two great places I must report on that I have found during my exploration of my new town.

The first is "Burgers and Fries" A little drive up burger place walking distance from my house. They have much more than burgers and fries though, the whole front side of their building is their menu. They even have breakfast. On my first trip there (yes, there will be more) I just had the burger and fries. YUM! Just your typical burger and fries, but yummy. It's kind of fast food, greasy bag style, but I would take this over McDonald's any day. And I couldn't get enough of the fries, they had big pieces of salt all over them. Other items they have on the menu include, down home favorites like catfish and chicken fried steak. I may have to try either sometime. And yes, they are a drive-thru/walk up. Really no place to sit, unless you count the picnic table, but that is more for just waiting for you order.

The second place is called "My Brotha's BBQ". It used to be a gas station! And their outdoor area, is just a table built around the gas meters. And you can still get your pop from the coolers. They have everything and everything is delicious! I got the fried catfish and potato wedges and some jalapeno hush puppies. Bob got some shredded beef, half a roast chicken and potato wedges and mashed potatoes. And we got samples of some of their famous sides, like the Parmesan dressing. so good we bought a jar, that is one of those things that you can and will put on EVERYTHING! It is so good. And their pimento spread, I think I live in the South now and like it. I may have to buy me some, and their chicken salad was almost, ALMOST as good as my moms. So anyway, back to the real food, we took our dinners home and WOW, I had never had catfish before and now I know why it is so popular, it is really good, it doesn't even taste like fish. And with the Parmesan dressing, it is even better, Bob's shredded beef and roast chicken was flavorful and moist even without any sauce, but I did try the mild sauce it came with that was delicious. The hush puppies were yummy, with just the right amount of bite from the jalapenos. And the mashed potatoes were creamy and yummy in the white country gravy. Even the potato wedges, which normally I am not a fan of (too much potato for me) were good, they were seasoned perfectly.

Bob and I already have our next order planned when we go. The full slab of ribs. And some pimento spread for me. And maybe some more hush puppies.

Happy eating all.

No comments:

Post a Comment